Just what I needed, another set of makeup brushes! I saw this this little Real Techniques Limited Edition 5 piece brush set in Gordon's Chemist for £19.99 (originally £29.99) and I just can't resist a good bargain. I have been debating the 'Bold Metals' collection since they were released but these look similar and the price was far more appealing. My thinking is, if I test these babies out and I love them then I will definitely invest in some of the Bold Metals collection! After all, a good makeup brush last for ages right?
So what brushes are included in the set?
1. Real Techniques duo-fiber face brush
This is basically just a larger version of my MAC 187 Duo Fibre face brush so I knew it would be a winner before I ever tried it out as I really LOVE my MAC brush! Even my best brushes can leave foundation brush strokes on my face but these stippling brushes blend them right in and create a smooth and flawless finish. I literally wouldn't be without this, it is an essential for liquid foundations. It is especially good around the nose and eyes to prevent the product from sinking into the 'cracks' sounds lovely but you know what I mean!
2. Real Techniques cheek brush
I already own the own the normal Real Techniques blush brush and I love to use it for blush so I think I will use this one for cheek contouring. I usually find that contouring with a smaller brush can result in harsh lines that aren't easily blended as the product is so concentrated. This brush seems like a good size for quick contouring to avoid any unsightly dark lines! Aside from that, this brush seems to be very similar to the Expert face brush, only a bit bigger in size. So I suppose I could also use this one for foundation if I wanted to. I love how Real Techniques brushes can be multi-purpose. In fact, I have so many brushes that I use in a different way rather than how they were intended!
3. Real Techniques base shadow brush
I suppose you can't really go wrong with this one, a simple brush that can effortlessly apply eyeshadow all over the eyelid. I like to use a light mate shade just under my brow bone and in the corners of each eye to reflect light and to cover dark shadows which can make me look so tired at times! I will 100% use this brush for this as my current eyeshadow brush is N07 and it has definitely had its day!
4. Real Techniques angled shadow brush
This beauty is exclusive to the set and I think it will be good to use when I want to create a smokey eye look. The angled head of the brush will make it easy for me to apply a dark eyeshadow colour into the crease of the eye socket like below! the bristles are quite tightly packed in this brush so that will create a really intense look with a highly pigmented colour. perfect for creating a look for going out at night!
5. Real Techniques eyeliner brush
This little brush is also an exclusive! All I can think of is how great would this be to create a cat-eye with some winged gel eyeliner? The line is so harsh and with a bit of scotch tape just think of the amazing look you could create. Ahh, can't cope! Aside from that, I like to apply some colour not only on my eyelids but also along the lash line. I find that this opens the eye up and it just results in a more 'finished' look.
- The price. FIVE Real Techniques brushes for £19.99 at Gordon's Chemist You really can't be bad to that. The set is available to purchased on the Boots website but you'll have to fork out £29.99 there. In saying that, you could always treat yourself with your Boots Advantage points and they won't cost you a penny!
- The duo-fibre and eyeliner brushers in particular are AMAZING.
- You get two exclusive brushes that you can't purchase anywhere else.
- How good do they look? I'm not going to lie, part of me just likes nice things to sit on my dressing table! these fit the bill 100%.
- I can't help but feel like they are a bit..... cheap? (GASP) What I mean is, they definitely don't have the same weight in them as the original brushes that you buy separately.
- The three smaller brushes can be kind of hard to hold and keep steady as they are so thin. It won't stop me from using them though, i'll just get used to it!
The Fashion Six